Everyone who makes EPF contributions is given a 12-digit number called the Universal Account Number, or UAN. The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) generates as well as distributes it, and the Ministry of Labour and Employment of the Government of India authenticates it. No matter how many jobs a person changes throughout their life, their UAN never changes. The EPFO issues a new member identification number or EPF Account (ID) connected to the UAN whenever an employee changes jobs. By giving the UAN to the new employer, an individual can simply request a member ID. The employee’s UAN is connected to the member ID once it has been formed. As a result, the UAN will serve as a catch-all member ID for the many member IDs that the employee has been given by various businesses.
Documents Required To Open UAN
The mandatory documents if you have recently started working for your first registered firm in order to obtain your Unique Account Number.
1. Bank Account Info: Account number, IFSC code, and branch name.
2. ID Proof: Any photo-affixed and national identity cards like driving license, passport, voter ID, Aadhaar, and SSLC Book.
3. Address Proof: A recent utility bill in your name, rental/lease agreement, ration card, or any of the ID proof mentioned above if it has your current address.
4. PAN Card: Your PAN should be linked to the UAN.
5. Aadhaar Card: Since Aadhaar is linked to the bank account and mobile number, it is mandatory.
6. ESIC card ( Optional)
One should have their Universal Account Number as well as PF member ID on hand in order to activate UAN. Then, simply follow the instructions listed below.
Visit the EPFO homepage and select “For Employees” from the list of services on the portal.
Select “Member UAN/Online services” under “Services.” You’ll arrive at the UAN portal.
Select “Activate UAN” from the vital links list.
Your UAN, member ID, PAN, or Aadhaar number, together with your name, DOB, mobile number, email address, and the captcha characters, must all be entered. The “Get authorization PIN” button should be clicked. The PIN will be sent to the registered mobile number you provided.
Then, enter the OTP that you receive on your mobile device and click “Validate OTP and Activate UAN” after selecting “I Agree” beneath the disclaimer option. You will receive a password for your account when your UAN is activated on your registered cellphone number.
Features And Benefits Of UAN
- UAN aids in the nation’s centralization of employee data.
- It lessens the EPF organization’s responsibility of requiring employers and businesses to verify employees.
- With the aid of this account, EPFO was able to collect the member’s bank account information and KYC without the assistance of the employers.
- Tracking an employee’s numerous employment changes is helpful to EPFO.
Early and unauthorized withdrawals from EPF have significantly decreased since UAN was implemented.
Advantages Of UAN to Employees
1. With this number, it is simpler to withdraw (whole or partially) PF online. Using this special account number, the employees can move their PF money from one PF account to another.
2. You can promptly obtain a PF statement whenever you need one (for a visa purpose, loan security, etc.) by logging in with the member ID or UAN or by sending an SMS.
3. Your profile doesn’t need to be validated by new employers if your UAN has already been Aadhaar and KYC-certified.
4. UAN makes sure that employers are unable to acquire or withdraw their employees’ PF funds.
5. Making ensuring that their company consistently deposits their contribution in the PF account is essential for people to do.
How To Reset UAN Password
1. Go to https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/ to access the login page.
2. Select the “Forgot Password” link.
3. Type in your UAN.
4. Please enter the captcha code.
5. Your registered mobile number will receive the OTP.
6. Enter the received OTP.
7. Choose “Submit” from the menu.
8. Change the password.
How To Download Online UAN Card
By following the instructions listed below, you can quickly get your UAN card if you have a valid EPF number. Make sure you have a functioning UAN and a working password before attempting to access the EPFO portal.
- Go to the official EPFO website and find the unified portal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/ page for employees to log in.
- On the Member e-Sewa page, enter your UAN.
- Type in your password and the details from the shown Captcha Code.
- To visit the EPF account page, select the “Sign in” option.
- Click “UAN Card” in the ‘View’ column.
- The card that is connected to your account will then be displayed on the page.
- Select “Download” from the menu options in the top right corner of your screen.
- For later use, one can take a printout of your UAN card or save a soft copy of it.
How to Obtain UAN for EPF
Whether there are 20 or more employees, an enterprise must register with EPFO. If the UAN has been already assigned by the previous employer, the employee must give the new employer this information. However, the employer must produce the UAN for new employees who are joining the service for the first time. The procedures below must be taken by the employer in order to generate a new UAN for the employee:
- Enter the ID and password to log in to the employer’s EPF portal.
- Select the tab labeled “Register Individual” under the “Member” section.
- Type in the employee’s information, including their Aadhaar, PAN, bank information, etc.
- Confirm the information in the “Approval” section.
- The employer can connect the employee’s PF account to the fresh UAN that EPFO creates for them.